Marinas lentil soup
- 1 pound of brown or green lentils
- 1 pound of ripe tomatoes Or a 14 ounce can of tomatoes
- One cup of olive oil
- Two small or one medium onion (whole)
- Five cloves of garlic (whole)
- Two bay leaves
- T2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- Salt pepper and a little Greek oregano to taste.
1. Make the base: If the lentils are not already cleaned, wash them and make sure that there are no stones. Blend the tomatoes until they are a purée. Put all the ingredients except the lentils, the pepper and the oregano into a large pot and add 5 cups of water. Put it on a high heat and when it has started to boil put in the lentils. Simmer them for between 30 and 60 minutes. Times vary according to the lentils you use. Take it off the heat and using a slotted spoon take out the onion the garlic and the Bay leaves. Grind fresh pepper to taste and sprinkle with the Greek oregano and enjoy.
2. Make the sauce: In Greece we eat this soup with olives or smoked fish but it’s a hearty meal on its own with some fresh crusty bread.