Giouvetsi ala Marina
This is Michael's favourite dish. It's normally made with orzo pasta but my family prefer spaghetti.
- Leg or shoulder of lamb. (the weight will depend on how many people you're feeding)
- 2 cups of canned Italian tomatoes smashed up
- 1lb spagghetti
- 1/2 cup Greek olive oil (Trader Joe's is great and reasonable)
- 1 Lamb boullion cube (if you can't find lamb,use beef)
- Salt and pepper
- Largest Pyrex baking dish you can find.
- Preheat oven to 475 Fah.
- Melt the cube in 1 cup of water. Put in Baking dish. Add tomatoes.
- Season lamb and put it in dish and drizzle with oil.
- Cover with aluminium foil and seal.
- Cook for 20 minutes then turn the oven down to 325. I can't give you a time for cooking as that will depend on the weight of the lamb but in my opinion you can't cook it for too long.
- Take it out and turn it over about every 45 minutes. It's ready when it just falls off the bone.
- Remove the lamb and wrap it in the foil to keep warm.
- Pour enough hot water in the baking dish so that it's about 2/3 full. Put it back in the oven. Turn heat up to 450
- When the water is bubbling,carefully add the spaghetti.
- Cook until the pasta is to your taste stirring occasionally to stop it sticking. (I like my pasta soft so that's about 40 minutes)
Michael likes Parmesan on his pasta, I don't.