- Box of Phyllo pastry
- 2 cups unsalted butter; melted
- 1 lb mixed chopped walnuts & almonds
- 1 cup toasted breadcrumbs
- Roasting pan the same size as the phyllo pastry, liberally buttered
- Mix all the dry ingredients; cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
- Layer 3 sheets of the phyllo, each piece brushed with melted butter before laying the next. Spread dry mixture liberally. Continue in the same way until nut mixture is finished. Top with 3 buttered sheets of phyllo. Score the pastry with a sharp knife into diamond serving pieces.
- Bake 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsps honey
- Strip of lemon peel
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Boil up all the ingredients until a syrup is formed.
- Let the Baklava cool down and then pour on the hot syrup.